Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|Potential shooter 'neutralized' outside Wisconsin middle school Wednesday, authorities say -Prime Money Path
Robert Brown|Potential shooter 'neutralized' outside Wisconsin middle school Wednesday, authorities say
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 07:37:40
Police are Robert Brownon scene at a south Wisconsin middle school after school officials reported what leaders called "an active shooter" late Wednesday morning and reported "the threat had been neutralized."
"Community members, there has been an active shooter at our middle school this morning," Mount Horeb Area School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Salerno posted on social media at 11:16 a.m. local time.
Mount Horeb Middle School is in Dane County about 20 miles west of the state capital, Madison.
"The threat has been neutralized outside of the building," the post reads. "Law-enforcement is circulating throughout the middle school to confirm the safety of all students."
No civilians were injured in the incident, the district posted in an update, and no additional suspects were believed to have been involved, as of about 12:20 p.m. local time.
"We have no reports of individuals being harmed, with the exception of the alleged assailant," Salerno wrote. "An initial search of the middle school has not yielded additional suspects."
A Dane County Sheriff's Office spokesperson told USA TODAY the scene was still active but confirmed so far, no civilians have reported being injured.
The spokesman, who did not identify himself said law enforcement had not released an official statement about the incident and said their priority was "to make sure the community is safe."
USA TODAY has reached out to the Mount Horeb Police Department for more information.
'The individual did not breach entryway'
It was not immediately known how the suspect was "neutralized" including whether the person was shot, but multiple local news stations reported a heavy police presence on campus.
"The individual did not breach entryway," the district posted on Facebook. "Police department is helping to scope out our building to ensure the safety of our students and staff."
In an update, Salerno wrote students would remain in hard lockdown throughout district buildings.
Parents urged not to report to middle school
The superintendent asked parents to stay away from the school while police investigated.
"Again, do not report to any of our schools at this time. Once we confirm the safety of all we will begin the process of reunification offsite with families."
This is a developing story.
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (6613)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Biden says he's considering additional sanctions on Russia over Alexey Navalny's death
- Man arrested in Audrii Cunningham's death was previously convicted on child enticement charges
- Discover's merger with Capital One may mean luxe lounges, better service, plus more perks
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Flint man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s new gun storage law
- Target announces collection with Diane von Furstenberg, including wrap dresses, home decor
- Attrition vs. tradition: After heavy losses, Tampa Bay Rays hope to defy odds yet again
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Green Bay schools release tape of first Black superintendent’s comments that preceded resignation
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Abortion rights could complicate Republican Larry Hogan’s Senate bid in deep blue Maryland
- Alabama's Supreme Court rules frozen embryos are 'children' under state law
- 2 men charged with murder in shooting at Kansas City Chiefs parade that killed 1, injured 22
- 'Most Whopper
- A search is underway for a missing 3-year-old Wisconsin boy
- 7 Black women backstage at the Grand Ole Opry, talking Beyoncé and country music
- Ex-FBI informant charged with lying about Bidens had Russian intelligence contacts, prosecutors say
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Jury starts deliberating in trial of New Hampshire man accused of killing daughter, 5
Barry Keoghan gets naked for Vanity Fair Hollywood cover issue, talks 'Saltburn' dance
Alabama hospital puts pause on IVF in wake of ruling saying frozen embryos are children
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Toshiba Laptop AC adapters recalled after hundreds catch fire, causing minor burns
Jury selection begins for trial of “Rust” armorer in fatal 2021 shooting by Alec Baldwin
New Hampshire rejects pardon hearing request in case linked to death penalty repeal